View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
76-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregersonke View Post
Like the subject says, I've got a 2020 prius prime LE for work, and 45 miles of my commute is at a speed of 76-80 just to keep from getting run over on California interstate. I do a lot of IT stuff so I'm constantly going in and out of the car between customers etc. The rest of my commute I do very well at slower speeds. But that part of my commute I'm only getting 40-45mpg and I'd like to get closer to the 65+ I get on the rest of the time when I'm not covering high speed highway. My average on my over 200 miles of daily driving is around 63.5 plugging it in every night which nets me 30-40 miles of electric or roughly 5 mpg daily average increase.

I'm looking for some simple yet not intrusive mods to help out with the highway if it's possible. I figured I'd check and see if you all have any ideas.

-Kevin
The Tesla Model X has the same drag coefficient as your car.At 55-mph,it's road load is 15.9-horsepower.At 80-mph,that grows to 36.2-horsepower,more than double.It experiences the velocity-cubed relationship for power consumption.
As mentioned by others already,speed is your enemy,and no token effort will make any appreciable difference.'AeroCivic-ing' your Prius would be your only option.

Last edited by aerohead; 02-22-2020 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: spelling