View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
I seriously need to cut back on infections!

I have had strep, an ear infection, now pinkeye, and other infections. The SLPA that works with my brother [when she isn't busy talking to us] says that she has every student use hand sanitizer and then she sprays her work area with Lysol multiple times a day.

I am going to start some of that, but I had four infections last winter and I was not working at a school. I see two little kids at home that climb on me. I should sanitize them, too.

My plans for Saturday were:
  1. Change the oil in my Accord and Mom's car.
  2. Remove all of the metal shavings that I can see from the Civic head.
  3. Put a drain pan under the Civic and pour the used motor oil on the head.
  4. Close the QuickValve.
  5. Reinstall the valve cover using the torque wrench.
  6. Fill the Civic with oil.
  7. Reinstall the battery [that has been charging in the garage].
  8. Say a very sincere prayer and crank her up!
Right. Oil change. How could that possibly go wrong?

Do you know who I am?!
  1. The Accord oil change was quick and easy. I hardly got my disposable gloves dirty and only a couple of drops of oil fell on the big metal drain pan under the plastic one.
  2. The problem was when I poured oil from there into a 5-gallon jug. I made a stack of cinder blocks, but had difficulty removing the drain pan cap--it cracked.
  3. I drained the oil into the jug perfectly until I needed to lift the drain pan. Even though the jug was half full, it tipped over, completely missed the metal pan, and spilled all over the garage floor.
  4. The jug filled up before the pan was empty, so I had a funnel full of dirty oil that I needed to put back in the pan. A mess ensued, but a contained mess.
  5. I used up the rest of my shop towels.
  6. It was raining, so I bought an awning to keep water out of my engine. Harbor Freight showed a 10x20 canopy for $100, but they only had a 10x10 one--for the same price.
  7. I need long cotton swabs to reach the metal shavings in the oil passages. Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Big Lots, and Safeway only had the normal ones, so I ordered from Amazon, and they arrived yesterday. I took my brother and he bought something from every store.
I wanted to do what I could this morning after making my brother's breakfast and before working both jobs, but:
  1. I felt something in my eye and wiped away gunk. The Internet said that I had pink eye.
  2. I have an appointment at the VA on Thursday. I called their helpline and a nurse said that since I have not seen my doctor yet, all that I could do was pay out-of-pocket or drive 3.5 hours each way to the Phoenix VA.
  3. Banner bought out the local urgent cares and more than doubled the charge, so I honestly looked into driving to Phoenix, but not only did I have a better use of seven hours, I did not feel like risking hitting another elk.
  4. "Yup, that is pink eye, here is a prescription [written on a paper towel], good luck!"
  5. My supervisor drove up to supervise me, but I am prohibited from working, so she only gets to supervise me tomorrow.
  6. I am out about $175 and a long day's work.
I am all caught up on notes, so I get to focus on projects!

It looks like Home Depot has the best price for shop towels. Who price-checks shop towels?

My brother is home from his day program with a stye, but I am not taking him anywhere because he is also contagious, but at least I am home to help him.

Last edited by Xist; 02-28-2020 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: I forgot a step!