View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I found this conversion, which I should probably memorize. The MPGe rating seems worthless to me, and I prefer to think in terms of miles per kWh, or watts per mile.

1 MPGe = 0.029669 mi/kWh

That's 2 miles per kWh, or exactly what I predicted the Cybertruck would get (half of what cars get).

A 500 mile range CT is going to need about a 250 kWh battery. That means the 300 mile range one needs 150 kWh, and the 250 mile range needs 125 kWh.
We're closer to knowing the aerodynamics of Cybertruck.Jury's out on rolling-resistance.LT rated tires come under a different jurisdiction than P-rated tires,so they're not reported the same.And since the carmaker determines what the tire manufacturer produces for OEM,it's up to Tesla to spec the tire.We know that 'flotation' 'super-singles' on big-rigs have 20% lower R-R than 'conventional' tires.Some 'big-rig' tires have the same or better Cfr-r than some passenger car tires.The tires on Cybertruck are an unknown quantity.And it's impossible to nail down what road loads will actually be without the coefficient.Without road loads we know nothing.
I'll presume that,at the level of expertise Tesla's team operates at,they can completely model the car numerically,and predict,to a high degree of certainty,what the performance will be.I'm going to wait for 3rd-party testing before acquitting or indicting.Some Teslas are at 340-miles range right now.A 500-mile pickup seems like a walk-on home run.
'And did I tell you about the 2005 (Dodge RAM SRT) Hennesey Venom 800,$106,855,with 156-miles range and a receiver hitch?'