View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts

My phone wouldn't charge when I came home from this trip, so I set up my third Samsung Galaxy S6, and just got back on this one for long enough to upload the pictures, but I really needed to upload them to the cloud or crop them before uploading them here.

What is this, a JPEG for ants?

I mentioned this two-story shed in my shavingcrete thread. I was excited that 512 square feet were on sale for potentially less than $7,000 [before tax]. However, would this even have 2x4 construction?

This guy looks inside a similar shed. I do not know how similar, this guy really does not give any information. The fourth-highest comment was:
Quote:
almost no useful information here, title should be "loud boys and dad walk through sheds and share opinions on its size"
The two-story shed is at 4:20:
He commented that the walls were not 16 inches on-center. I took a screenshot and estimated that they were 21". I do not know how accurate that was, but about 1/3 off?

They look like 2x4s. I do not know that 2x3s would support their own weight.

So, I worked both jobs, caught up on updates, and wondered about converting a shed into a home. This family bought a 16x48 shed from another company, spent a year and five months finishing it, and released dozens of videos about it. It is still a work in progress, but it looks nice. Do you count lofts when calculating square footage? This is 768 square feet otherwise.

He said that you need to choose a county without building restrictions and live outside the city [because it has its own regulations].

I do not know how to tell if a property is within the city limits or how much it would cost to connect utilities. Ask a realtor? Call me crazy, but I really like the idea of cheap and easy utility connections. Why would I intentionally have a septic tank?

It can cost so much to connect electricity that people say "I might as well go solar!"

Sure, if you only want electricity during the day and fair weather.

If you give them an e-mail address they will give you their expense report. In a video he said to plan for an extra 10% cost, but he budgeted for $75,591.04, and it actually cost $94,494.92, so it was a full 25% more expensive than they planned. It cost $18,414.43 just to connect septic, electric, water, propane, and the Internet. The $94,000 included front and back decks, which were $11,279.73.

I tried to purchase a three-bedroom townhouse in 2012 for $94,500. The property was only about 800 square feet, but it was 1,200 square feet. However, it is now worth $162,256.

Here is a 3-bedroom, 2-bath, 1,600-square-foot fixer-upper in-town on 2.3 acres for $85,000.

Can you fix it up for $10,000?

I highly doubt it. I really like what this family did, but it looks like I lost another couple of hours to another distraction:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-story shed 0a.png
Views:	404
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	27610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-story shed 1.png
Views:	14
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	27611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-story shed 2.png
Views:	15