View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: wa
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, you can even get an engineer to draw up building plans and (in some jurisdictions) permit one of these "portable barn cabins" for recreational (=part time/cabin with plumbing) or in some cases residential. It depends on your county/city, check with the planning department. The reputable companies such as old hickory sheds, sundance, and graceland portable buildings are typically built using conventional stud spacing, and can even be ordered 2x6 construction. As mentioned the materials cost would be lower if you built it yourself in most or all cases, so it's not going to be the absolute cheapest, but might make sense in some cases
  Reply With Quote