View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I do not know how complete this comparison is. Risinger shows pros and cons of each and does not seem to give his opinion on which one is the best:
I keep wondering if anyone has made any of these systems at home. With a hot-wire cutter you could make lego-style pieces of foam board, although I wonder how the rebar is attached. Is using cinder-block-sized pieces easier than using 4x8 sheets?

Imagine me making an 8x8 shed. Two 4x8 sheets in the inside for each wall, two on the outside. Attach and pour concrete.

Of course, pouring concrete would be a challenge. What would I do? Build huge ramps 8" high and push a wheelbarrow up there?

You can buy a spray foam kit. Home Depot gave one to the girl that built one of their sheds. All of the SIPs that I have seen have been between OSB, but when I tried to find someone making their own, I found Raycore, and they use dimensional lumber and foil radiant vapor barriers:

Risinger has a couple of videos about ZIP-Rs and I like the idea of a stick-built building with as much exterior insulation as interior, but the only pricese that I can find are for thin sheets. I do not see the R-rating, but I would not expect much from something hardly thicker than siding: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Huber-7-...7198/202089190
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insulated-wall-roof-panels-sips.png
Views:	106
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	27634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raycore SIPs.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	27635