View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I believe I've heard on this forum that aerodynamic cars have stability issues. Is that true? How so? What can be done about it?

Thanks
Hucho basically says not to concern yourself with it,if you're driving posted speeds.
'Streamline' cars look like a wing section from the side.Urban legend and street mythology has it that these shapes are inherently unstable at speed.What's not known is,that all wings have a zero-lift angle-of-attack.You can verify this looking at Abbott and Von Doenhoff's book,Theory of Wing Sections.There's not a wing known which does not have a zero-lift condition.And they all occur at the 'drag minimum.'
For cars though,were talking about streamline bodies of revolution.Typically,they're so 'rounded' in cross-section,the pressures bleed such that uniform pressures exist for the entire length of the vehicle.
Spirit of Ecomodder.com developed 30-lbs front downforce and 22-lbs rear lift at 130-mph.Lift-related instability is essentially meaningless! I've never experienced any issues with yaw either.At 108-mph she's rock solid.Bam ZipPow's been even faster with Dark Aero.
BamZipPow (03-10-2020), Flakbadger (03-04-2020), freebeard (03-04-2020)