View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #77 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
[...] updating a car every 3 years, where most of the change is subtle, makes no real difference in the way the car operates or performs, and most people who own the previous model year could not point out the differences seems like a waste.
Welcome to throwaway culture, I suppose. I see cars with all sorts of fancy electronic gizmos and I just don't 'get' it. I would have continued driving my "no frills" Yaris pretty much indefinitely, but I didn't feel it was worth the value to put ~$4,000 into something 11 years old with 100,000 miles on it, especially when its value is only around $2,500.

But your comment does remind me---my wife and I bought her Fit brand new. It was our first time buying a new car, and we did it because a used Fit with 20-30k miles on it was only a grand or so cheaper than one that was brand new.

Within 8 months we were already getting flyers from the dealership trying to get us to come trade in our still-new car for a 1-model-year-newer version of the exact same thing. They even had (apparently) attractive financing options for that sort of thing. Really struck both of us that they'd even bother. It means that people must actually do that.

5 years and 60,000 miles later, we have no intention of trading it in. But we're abnormal.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
The Following User Says Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
ldjessee00 (03-04-2020)