View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Okay I made a thread in General Efficiency Discussion after seeing the Engineering Explained video of Hyundai CVVD pop up, but I feel like there's basically no advantage to Koenigsegg Freevalve over that. If you have control over duration, you have full control over overlap, scavenging, and volumetric efficiency.

The only thing it can't do is use extremely low lift to produce charge motion, but if you care about that you can also just use lost motion EVIC variable lift like Multiair or Valvetronic, add tumble generator valves, or use multi-point/laser/microwave/jet/SPCCI ignition.

Continuously variable duration adds no reciprocating inertia, and only a small amount of sliding friction when the valve duration is changed (mostly when it's being shortened, aka high load low rpm which is not a common operating condition). You could even run motorcycle engine speeds no problem.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I just watched one of the videos...Christian said it can run as a TWO STROKE sometimes :O Okay that's actually maybe worth the expense and power consumption. Since it's turbocharged, when there's enough boost to scavenge the cylinder it would produce some pretty ridiculous torque.

Last edited by serialk11r; 03-05-2020 at 10:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (03-06-2020)