View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
TELVM
EcoModding Lurker

'El Misil' - '91 Opel Calibra 2.0i
Last 3: 29.02 mpg (US)
Sadly I couldn't find more example MSnS-Extra maps for your engine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownintegra View Post
I do understand the basics of engine tuning. I have a supercharged Integra that I tuned with Hondata and a wideband.
Ooops, sorry for the brick on the basics then .

Quote:
I was trying to figure out where Megatune actually "tunes" from, the VE or the AFR voltage. Now that you explained it, it sounds like Hondata functions from the same table, whereas Megatune has it in 2 places.
Yep, MS has two separate main tables for fuel (VE table) and ignition (Spark table).

The values in the VE table are fuel amount expressed as a percentage on 100% volumetric efficiency (simplifying a bit). You can't enter directly AFR settings (neither lambda nor voltage) in the VE table of Megasquirt.

The values in Spark table are degrees of ignition advance.

Then if you want to use Autotune for fine tuning the fuel, you fill the TARGET AFR table with AFR targets (expressed as wideband voltages, not lambda, in MSns-Extra). Afterwards when you activate it Autotune will reference from the Target table to modify on the run the VE table.

Notice Autotune is just an assistant tool for fine tuning fuel, and needs a more or less developed VE table to begin working on. Autotune can't and wouldn't fill a blank VE table.

Quote:
Also, I think it may have something to do with the distributor set up, because it appears to be "retarded", no pinging, but you can hear it in the motor, it sounds sick.
Experiment advancing and retarding a few degrees at idle, if one direction improves and the other worsens that will tell.

Quote:
I will try to lean out the settings and try again. 30 mins of idling burned darn near 1 gallon of fuel and killed the o2 sensor.
That looks waaaay too rich, a 1000cc engine should use less than 1 litre/hour of fuel per hour idling hot, that's about a quarter of US gallon/hour at most.

What is your 'Required Fuel' setting? (Basic Settings => Engine Constants) and flow of your injectors in lb/hour or cc/min?

Quote:
One other thing I noticed, if I try to "shift" the table by a whole point or two, the VE map or Spark map goes cRaZy and puts all types of weird numbers in the cells.
Strange. Maybe you didn't switch the dot from 'scale' to 'shift' in Tools => Table Transform?