View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Before anything else, thank you to everyone who has commented with ideas and solutions, they've all been useful and have gotten me thinking, which I think is a good thing....?

Here's a high-quality image of what I'm looking for a semi-flexible belt for:

Looking to make the black/gray thing out of one long piece of rubber-ish material. Flexible enough to do the compound curves, stiff enough it won't flap around like paper. I would be mounting it inside the front and rear mudflaps, and to the plastic skirt above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Hi Flakbadger,
I don't know how thick you want it or how stiff it needs to be. For small plastic pieces I can usually find a plastic bottle, (eg. anti-freeze/coolant) that has a flatish side to cut up. That's free. Plastic gas cans have large flat sides for lots of scrap pieces but cost about $15 for a 2 gal can.
-mort
Thanks mort, that's not a bad idea. I'm trying to get two uninterrupted pieces--one for each side--about 3 feet long by 4"-6" tall if possible. But the plastic bottle technique might be a very useful one for some of the smaller mods I have planned. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Rigid, semi flexible, 4-6", is this a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

1/2’” foam insulation board with foil on one side and clear plastic on the other.
Use a High Strength spray can adhesive to glue multiple layers as needed and to adhere to the skirt. [...] If anything, it’s a cheap way to test mods before making them from a more durable material.
>
This is a cool technique, I think I'm looking for something specific in this case, which is a piece of conveyor belt (or something similar) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... however this technique does give me an idea, because I want to make front wheel spats and I think this would be the way to go. Especially because if I curb it when parking, I'm not shattering plastic all over the place.

As for testing, I have been scouring the area for a road that I can do coastdown testing on and haven't been able to find anything
a) deserted enough
and
b) flat enough
I will keep trying to find something, but for the meantime, I have a bit of free time on my hands until my new job starts in late April/early May, so this is pretty much the opportunity I'll have to make my aeromods, and I can test them afterward at my leisure.

It is something I've been mindful of, testing is just as important as construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
A good source for almost every type of plastic or rubber material is McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/. They sell many types of belting by the foot, and you can get as much or as little as you want. Their catalog is the ultimate wish book for people who build things - over 4000 pages of everything you can imagine plus more.
Very cool. I've already tracked down some 4" belting for $4/ft, and I need ~6ft, which isn't too expensive. I'll throw it in the options pile. Browsing the rest of the site, it's a friggin candy land!

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White