View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #506 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
in front

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was questioning Hucho rather than you. I think the example differs because it is out front in quasi-laminar flow. I don't understand those F1 wings at all.

OTOH, 2D flow devices exist in theory, but where would one be found in real life?
Okay,now I'm pretty confused.I was addressing something in the back of a vehicle which would reduce drag,other than a boat tail or box-cavity.And Hucho says that such a thing does not exist.
If we're talking about the F-1 car,then everything you see if for high speed stability and cornering force at minimum drag,where Cd 1.0 might be considered low drag.I don't have any interest in racing cars,other than speed record cars.That's the only place we'd have a chance to see low drag.And the lower the horsepower category the better.
PS And as to 2D flow,that would be with wings,elevators,longerons,canards,struts,pylons,ta nks,and horizontal stabilizers at flight conditions.You can't have that kind of flow with an automobile.The presence of the ground plane makes it impossible.

Last edited by aerohead; 03-11-2020 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: PS