View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
rob.e
just joined..

Civic - '15 Honda Civic Tourer SR
Not much to update on the car - i've been running on my winter wheel and tyre setup so its harder to get good mpg, looking forward to swapping back to my lightweight forged rims and low-rolling-resistance tyres in a few weeks time as the weather improves.

The only mod i've done recently is a simple grille block.

I bought a cheap used grill from a breakers yard, same as my car already has fitted.. i used a can of expanding foam filler (aerosol) to fill in the gaps in the grille, then covered it with some black wide vinyl tape so it is less visible.

The grille gap i'm closing up isn't massive but i wanted to see if this would have any effect (increased mpg or raise engine temps).

Before:

Untitled by Rob E, on Flickr

After:

Untitled by Rob E, on Flickr

I was hoping i'd see a more rapid warm-up on cold mornings but tbh i don't notice a difference. Good news is that the general running temp of the engine does not seem to have changed - there's obviously enough cooling air still coming in through the upper grille and the two smaller side grilles.

MPG - not really done anything scientific but i'd estimate it has made a positive difference but only v minor. Still cost very little to do and being black it's hardly noticeable..

I will try now also a block (or semi block) on the upper grille, and i have some options i need to try out with wheel covers and some underfloor aero ideas too.