View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #87 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Perfect your aircrete technique. Forget the shaving cream.
I had forgotten the shaving cream, but you just reminded me, and now I want to go crazy with it!

Eh. That sounds exhausting. Nevermind.

I didn't decide against it because you told me to! You're not the boss of me! I do what I want!

Well, what I want within the extremely confining limitations of time, budget, and ability...

The shaving cream was only a proof of concept. I did not feel like investing $30 for something that I might never use again, and supposedly actually costs $100.

What is the r-value of aircrete anyway? I cannot find that anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The T-stud might make a good finishwork detail (porch columns or something). But on top of the labor, the dowels will cost more for foot than the dimensional lumber.
Not if I make them myself!

Then they cost way more?

All right. I am about to talk crazy, but stick with me! 2x8s are $8.67. I argue that I can make my own Tstud for... $8.67.

Cut out the black part and use a router to reduce the crossmember to 2x2 (or 1.5x1.5). There would still be thermal bridging, but 2.25 square inches per linear foot.

I call it the Shtud!

Why not Hstud?

Histud?
Hustud?
Aychestud?

How would you pronounce that?

[There is a good chance I would only make sch... at least at first]

Okay, how do I make [and pronounce] a Xtud?

I present to you the Xtud!

Their dowels seem to be at a 45° angle, except they are at an angle in two dimensions. They are thinking with triangles and stuff!

Having the crossmembers at an angle makes that part 40% longer, reducing the thermal bridging. If I just made an X it would be a more complicated H with a 2" thermal bridge.

Imagine the crossmembers are 1/2" thick, separated by half an inch. Half an inch of insulation wouldn't do much, but it would do more than an H!

How the heck would I make one?!

I could use a router to make the X, put a wider bit on a 1/2" spacer to create a channel in the middle, and then chisel it out?

I would want to make a 2' section for a proof of concept and maybe patent it.

Not everyone has a patent!

If I made a sandwich of 5/8" and 3/8" plywood it would be negligibly thicker than 1.5". That would be vastly easier than carving a board, but it would not be as impressive.

With much enthusiasm I present to the world the kstud. Yay:

All right. Let's say that I use something like that instead of Honey-do Carpenter's metal studs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I disagree on uninsulated concrete performing well for thermal comfort - at least in the areas where I have lived. I suspect it works quite well in areas where the primary thermal issue is staying cool.
It was 115.0°F (46°C) in Phoenix on July 16th, 2019. The low was 89.1 F (32°C)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xtud.png
Views:	108
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	27667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ktud.png
Views:	105
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	27668  
freebeard (03-12-2020)