View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

Taking air from a Low Pressure area

If this has been covered elsewhere, my apologies. So there are well known relevant existing solutions I will try to tie into the discussion. Best known, is the typical Nascar engine air intake at the base of the windshield reported to be a high pressure area and relatively ambient air temp, the mythbusters discovery of the PU tailgate up reducing drag by effectively creating a high pressure "bubble" in the bed and smoothing rear of the Cab airflow, and typical racing sedan with a rather vertical rear window disturbing rear airflow needed for down force on the trunk deck, by use of a spoiler or a rear wing.

So my problem starts with finding symmetrical suitable location for twin rear brake cooling inlets, without resorting to scoops. Nothing seemed to be acceptable. So the next acceptable solution is resorting to axial fans in the brake ductwork, but I still need to find an inlet mounting point, and if it can help with other issues, I'm all for it.

So it seems currently with high end racers, aero trumps almost everything else on the cars. Nascar has long used the windshield base as engine air inlet, but they are highly regulated, and this decision was made by Nascar way before aero entered the pic, in the mid 60's?

So when one views common wind tunnel smoke trails, does removing any air from this Nascar high pressure area distort the path, by removing/reducing the high pressure "bubble" in this area? If so, that would seem to be a negative regarding overall aero when at speed, because the now lowered air flow would attack the front of the windshield at a steeper angle, and then tumble rearward.

I kinda base this off the above mentioned PU/Tailgate/Mythbusters revelation, where the bed "bubble" reduces drag.

So on my sedan racer track car, I am leaning strongly towards a rear wing for rear DF. Elevating the wing is very effective to help it enter "cleaner" air. I might also incorporate a very small lip spoiler on mine, to keep the rear deck in play for some added DF.

This brings me to my main question, can I use the two rear fan powered brake ducts properly positioned to help diminish the rear window turbulent low pressure (?) bubble, and help get the main over the roof after airflow lower, to better engage the rear wing, and maybe even the trunk deck lip spoiler?

There are seldom any rules limiting brake cooling fans, OK think Chaparral Sucker car, just kidding.

Last edited by j-c-c; 03-13-2020 at 12:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-14-2020)