View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
b1ackhawk
EcoModding Lurker

the teggy - '93 Acura Integra GS

Suub - '02 Saab 9-2x Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHound View Post
I have a 1997 Civic CX hatchback. Love it. But, it doesn't get that great gas mileage. I live in Los Angeles and do about 80% "city" driving. I get around 25 mpg. This is before doing anything eco-wise though (I plan to do some mods).

Another problem with this model is the transmission. I had to have it replaced at only 95,000 miles, which seems ridiculous to me for such a "reliable" car. My Honda mechanic said it's very common to have to replace trannies in Honda's around this year. I totally trust my mechanic.

HHINLA
Ive heard CVT trannies have had some issues. I havent heard about the standard autos though. My wifes 96 ex has 196,000 on its original 4 speed auto. On top of that i dont think the tranny fluid was changed for the first 150,000 miles, but i cant be sure, when i checked it around that time it was really bad looking. Ive been doing incremental changes and it shifts quite nicely still. She gets 30mpg without trying to drive eco, my dads dx got 38 mpg on the highway at 80mph. Great cars.

***add***
I know on V6 models for late 90's thru early 2000's did have tranny problems.
I believe 2004 and after is fixed. These had issues especially with 2nd gear and heavy city driving or towing. a trans cooler and regular fluid changes can keep those problems in check.

Last edited by b1ackhawk; 09-18-2008 at 03:16 PM..