View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 02:02 AM   #61 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I have used conveyor belt.
I find it at the scrap yard and they practically give it away.
I haven't had a chance to stop by any scrap yards in this area. Last ones I went to were more oriented for you to dump stuff rather than pick stuff up. Still, might be worth looking into. I'm also leaning pretty heavily toward just picking some new stuff up, since it'll only be around $30ish to do everything I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I bought a 2'x4' sheet of ABS plastic almost seven years ago. I have absolutely no idea why and I have not come up with a use for it. I paid $32, but how they ship for $19 off of Amazon.
That's a bummer. I paid out the nose for my ABS, but I have enough to make at least 4 rear wheel skirts, which gives me plenty of wiggle room should I invariably make a mistake. I have plans for a lot of the remaining material. If it weren't such a worry to move electrical things under the hood of the car, I'd actually rather like to make use of the empty space and put stuff in a custom made "front trunk."

Makes good material for a false bottom to your existing cargo area, also. Considering something like that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
I like the mods so far. As to the deepfake photoshop on the skirts, my 2 cents would be to trim it and call it good. Keep in mind the bottom of the tire is traveling at the same speed as the road surface, not 2x speed like the top of the tire. You are adding frontal area at a point of diminishing returns in my opinion.
I need to try this on the Golf.
That's actually a really good point about diminishing returns, I hadn't really thought of it that way. That said, the aesthetics of this are something I like too. I want to make this look aerodynamic and smooth in addition to it actually being both.

Dumb as it is, I enjoy the idea of modding my car to be unique, only instead of having big fart can mufflers and a super loud stereo, or giant decals about being Daily Driven, it has ecomods. When this is all done, I want it to look like a factory upgrade for the car, not something homemade.

I think I will be trimming it though, there's really no need to worry over the complex angles when I can just make that extra area up with conveyor belt material, which looks to be about $30 for what I'd need.

In any event, thank you for the input. Everybody on this site is awesome.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White