View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson View Post
Bigger cooler lines won't hurt. The cooler does not regulate pressure, it only cools the fluid. There is very little pressure in the cooler and lines compared to the transmission. The valves control the pressure. Any reduction in return line restriction is a good thing.
Thank you! I didn't think that the cooler lines needed restriction, but I wanted to make sure since it would really suck to go through all the work and expense of changing out the cooler lines and then find out that the trans no longer shifts correctly and need to reinstall the stock lines. I have been thinking about this for a while, and I realized that the fluid flow through the cooler lines varies with RPM and that it needs to be designed in a way that the trans will function correctly with varying amounts of backpressure since it needs to be able to function correctly from idle to redline.

What benefit would I see from less restriction in the cooler lines? I presume I would get more fluid flow through the torque converter and the cooler and therefore overall better cooling? Also theoretically fractionally more MPG and power to the wheels due to less work required by the pump to push the fluid? Thanks in advance!