View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
ptsmith24
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunders1313 View Post
Don't be afraid to EOC, depending on what EOC you're talking about, engine on coasting or engine off coasting. I engine on coast all the time in my automatic. Just shift it into neutral and when you want to get back into gear either rev the engine up to the rpms it should be or hit the brake (lightly) and shift into gear then let go of the brake. Even if you just coast with the engine on instead of off you'll save fuel instead of using the brakes a lot.
Engine Off Coasting. I already cost in N with the engine on and then turn the engine off at longer lights. Even when I'm coasting in neutral to, say, a 45 mph zone from a 55 mph zone, I don't have to do anything but 55 > N > 45 > D, no gas/brake deal you're talking about. No adverse affects thus far and no symptoms of anything bad. I don't do that much, but I definitely try to time out lights by N-coasting towards them. Right now, I have a little over half a tank left and I've been about 230-240 miles. I'm staying under 60MPH (mostly close to 55MPH) for this tank to see how much more that helps my mileage over the last tank on which I did 45 miles or so at 65-70MPH. Once my mileage levels off at 55MPH driving, I'll look into doing a little more each tank. I don't want to change too many things each tank because if FE gets worse, it would be more difficult to determine the exact cause. I know that isn't likely with the tips on this site, but that's the way I want to do it.