View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #183 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
...and here the $300 round trip tickets to HI are tempting me. Do I gamble on things easing up in the next 2 months?
United is waiving change fees for 12 months so if it didn't work out you could use the credit for something else. I expect other airlines are doing the same.

As I mentioned in another thread my wife and I have been in Costa Rica for 2 weeks attending a Spanish language school. What a difference between the calm here and the chaos described by friends at home. Yes, the schools and bars have closed but life goes on pretty much as normal. I was in the supermarket yesterday and it was no different than 2 weeks ago. Shelves are fully stocked and TP is not being rationed and people are shopping. The biggest change is signs EVERYWHERE saying to wash your hands.

We are are heading back early due to the recent directive from the State Department for all US citizens to return to the USA immediately or plan to stay put indefinitely. We knew it was serious when they said they are recalling diplomatic staff. That combined with the fact that Costa Rica closed their borders on Wednesday means that flights are getting hard to find. Several airlines have quit flying to CR altogether

When we get home both my wife and I will be working remotely. We will have some groceries shopping to do but we would be fine with what we have at home. Due to the risk of earthquakes we have 3 months food and water. It may not be the most balanced diet but we have plenty of rice, beans, and flour. The official guideline is 2 weeks and I'm shocked that most of my coworkers don't even have that. It really doesn't cost anything we just bought a little bit extra every week until we had enough food and then we rotate the stock when we shop. First in - First Out, I write the purchase date on things when it goes on the shelf

Part of me wants to say screw it and just stay. However we are sticking to the plan to work through the next (current) recession and buy low. All extra money goes into the market this year. 20 year anniversary trip is cancelled.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-20-2020), Xist (03-20-2020)