View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Chapter 5, "Directional Stability," is 70 pages long in the 4th edition of Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, and covers a lot of ground.

I vehemently disagree with this assessment of what Hucho* "says" (and if you think he does say that--produce it!). Quite the opposite: the chapter begins--

*Since Hucho edited Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles and most of the book, including the chapter excerpted here, are not his words, I'm using his name as I assume you are--as a stand-in for the book itself.
Unfortunate for us is a non-quantified declaration of 'high speed.' Hucho lives in Germany where there still remain portions of the Autobahn with unrestricted, unlimited speed.I drove at 124-mph,over long sections in a Mitsubishi Galant last time I was there.
Any high speed directional instability will be attributed to a center-of-pressure issue,which can be addressed by a fin if need be,as GM used on Sunraycer,Ford used on Probe-V, Fachsenfeld/Kamm used on the K-car series at FKFS,any year 550-mph streamliners at Bonneville,and faster jet/rocket cars at Black Rock Desert,Nevada,or Africa.
Hucho,as editor of the 2nd edition said instability due to lift was a non-issue.We've come a long way since the 1930s.What's your specific concern?