View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
B-b-but beating dead horses is what we do here.

Instead of your fellow racers, consider Prof. Morelli's wind tunnel research.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ail-33283.html

The thread has been 'Photobucketed' but if you dig deep enough you find his solution was to place an impeller in the wheel that sucked air in through the wheels center which filled the wheelwell and then exited through a Coanda nozzle to wrangle the turbulent flow around and behind the rear tires.

That how the scientist do.
Thanks, I think this is pertinent to my thinking, but I need first time to digest:

"The focus of the 2000 research is to use the fluid tail to create as low a drag as possible car,with super-truncation.
*Morelli borrows from the 'jet-pumping mechanism' penalty cited in Hoerner's section on bullet research.
*An all-forebody car body is given a ring-vortex-inducing ramp to create a controlled separation and attached transverse vortex which can insulate the bodies base from the low pressure of the inviscid flow outside the boundary layer adjacent to the separation line.
*The sloughing turbulent boundary layer and vortex stuffs the wake,so to speak,and the outer flow decelerates around this fluid tail,gaining static pressure as it moves aft.
*Since the base is insulated from the separation line,the base pressure is higher,leading to less pressure drag,and profile drag."
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-21-2020)