View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasti_ako View Post
2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.
Anecdote: A number of years ago, on a drive down to L.A., I stopped at a station that had a tanker there, re-filling the station's tanks. I thought about it for a moment (as I had read elsewhere about the "crud getting stirred up"), and decided to use that station anyway, as it was several cents per gallon cheaper than the others nearby.

About 5 or 10 miles down the road, my car started intermittently bucking. The engine was misfiring. Since I was out on I-5 in the middle of nowhere, I just had to keep on driving. When I got down to L.A., I found a car parts store and put "HEET" (alcohol) in the tank, and drove for a while longer. As soon as the tank was down to halfway, I re-filled it.

Things got better when I got through about a quarter of that tank (driving around the L.A. Basin) and re-filled the tank again, though they didn't completely clear up until that fill was about a quarter-tank gone.

It could be coincidence. I don't think so. I do know that I will never buy gas at a station with a tanker parked there if I can possibly avoid it.

...Oh, BTW: Gas stations do not pump fuel from the absolute bottom of their tanks. They pretty much all get water into the tanks, which goes to the bottom since water is heavier than gasoline. The pickup is actually up from the bottom some amount. So water will get stirred up when they dump fuel in there. I suspected that was what happened, though the HEET did not seem to help very much. Which it should have done if the contamination responsible for the misifiring was indeed water...

-soD