View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Xringer
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
I'd ask around the truck forums about using a transfer case. I think it causes a lot of drag. They also don't take kindly to being shifted while moving at a high rate of speed all the time.

You could just bolt the motor to a rear end that will net you a safe ratio (i.e. one that won't over-rev the motor if you go too fast), and there are also "2 speed" rear ends out there.

There was loads of drag before I took out all the rear-wheel drive hardware.
The only part left of that system is the transfer case.
Which seems to be connected directly to the front wheels.

Bolting the propeller shaft back in will add more load, but my main question now is,
what kind of load will a free-wheeling motor (when not being used) put on the engine.
I would not want to use a clutch to take the motor load away.. That seems to complicated.

Here's the old rear differential. It could be used as a template for mounting the motor and getting the coupling (faceplate) in the right location for the propeller shaft.
It seems like there is enough room on the bracket to install a good sized motor..

Right now, I'm not thinking about having a full EV mode, but have the motor just provide an assist to the ICE when switched on.
Just a little push.. So I could see some 50 MPG at 50 MPH maybe..?.
But it would be nice to have full EV mode someday when cheap batteries aren't so dang heavy..

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter