View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #231 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Returns diminish:
Quote:
Effective with the 1986 model year, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada mandated that all new passenger cars come equipped with a CHMSL. The requirement was extended to light trucks and vans for the 1994 model year. Early studies involving taxicabs and other fleet vehicles found that a third, high-level stop lamp reduced rear-end collisions by about 50%. Once the novelty effect wore off as most vehicles on the road came to be equipped with the central third stop lamp, the crash-avoidance benefit declined. However, the crash-avoidance benefit has not declined to zero, and a CHMSL is so inexpensive to incorporate into a vehicle that it is a cost-effective collision avoidance feature even at the long-term enduring crash-reduction benefit of 4.3%.[95]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...p_lamp_(CHMSL)

The funny part:
Quote:
The 1952 Volkswagen Bus was equipped with only one stop lamp, mounted centrally and higher than the left and right rear lamps which did not produce a stop lamp function.[citation needed] The 1968–1971 Ford Thunderbird could be ordered with optional supplemental high-mounted stop and turn signal lights integrated into the left and right interior trim surrounding the backglass.[92][93] The Oldsmobile Toronado from 1971 to 1978, and the Buick Riviera from 1974 to 1976 had similar dual high-mounted supplemental stop/turn lights as standard equipment; these were located on the outside of the vehicle below the bottom of the backglass.
The first time I was pulled over was because the traffic officer didn't see a front bumper so he turned around and pulled me over. Turned out that the front license plate was there, and the bumper wasn't a requirement. So he made a snide comment about how fast I got it going downhill and let me go.