View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The trans-pacific partnership that the United States pulled out of in 2017 would have brought US and Japanese standards closer together, from what I understood about the policy. I wonder if that would have made it easier for us in the United States to get grey market Japanese cars. I wonder if the 2019 EU-Japan trade deal took something away from the United States that it had won in the TPP. The bilateral United States Japan trade deal negotiated last year and still incomplete, apparently does nothing much with the auto industry.
TPP would not have effected emission and crash standards it was more focused on tariffs and internal barriers to business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I wonder why Brexit wouldn't affect Britain's participation in an EU trade deal. Perhaps they did some special side negotiation.
As of today there is no real Brexit. Wikipedia sums it up well:

As of February 2020, the United Kingdom's post-Brexit relationship with the remaining European Union members remains to be negotiated. Following the UK's secession from the EU on 31 January 2020, the UK continues to conform to EU regulations and to participate in the EU Customs Union during a transition period that the UK Government says must end by 31 December 2020. The EU side has said that this timetable in unrealistic.

The EU and the UK just kicked the can down the road again.