View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #263 (permalink)
Tahoe_Hybrid
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
CapriRacer,I appologise for the digression,however you appear to be the only "insider" we have into the dark world of automotive tire manufacturing.I would like you to address something if you will,concerning the Tire Performance Criteria,published by General Motors Corporation in the 1980s,which essentially transfered tire design away from tire makers and put it in the lap of GM.I'm given to understand that,as the largest automaker in the United States,and controlling the largest share of new car O.E.M. tire ourchases,that GM essentially transferred authority away from tire manufacturers and specified how tires would be constructed from there on out.Since Ford Motor and Chrysler were minority customers,they were forced to go along with whatever GM decided.The issue has significance to ecomodders desiring certain LRR technology,as tire makers are not permitted to manufacture certain proven LRR tires,as they were not developed by the tire companies,but rather by GM,and cannot produce said tires without express permission from GM.
the standard PSI is 38PSI for GM for passenger cars

I was talking to a so called mechanic (one that claimed to be) he said he uses 29PSI and that air expansion will make it higher which is true but why risk a blow out when the side wall fails because it's under inflated..

that is what ford said to use 29PSI shortly after they had tires failing left and right..

if you have it at 40-44PSI the max side wall there is no increase or heating of the tire or heat cycling the tire.. after drive for an hour at 40PSI the tire is still cold to the touch PSI stayed the same

with the tires at 32psi the PSI increased to 36PSI from internal heat expansion