View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #266 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
officially shown on the sticker on the driver side door 2018 model
i use digital ones they have 0.5psi increments
ford explorer tires blowout google it
was more at the side wall rather then the tread it self
the tread and sidewall failed simultaneously
if the tread left the tire it might still be drive able to come to a stop but a lot of noise
as seen here
i'm sure if you heard that noise you would be slowing down, notice when the tread separates it does not go flat instantly

a side wall blow out goes flat instantly (i personally seen it happen to a pickup truck at 75MPH) the pickup truck was in the next lane over
normally when i think of the tread leaving the tire I'm thinking of the retreaded 18wheeler tires
i dealt with tread separation Firestone tire (flat hard spot i might be able to dig up a photo) and bridgestone tire
here is a photo of tread separation on my bridgestone tire you can see the tire is warped that is because the tread is coming apart..
First, I can tell you don't have access to Tire Guides - the publication that lists all the placard information for all vehicles sold in the US - because if you did, you would have pointed out that Tire Guides lists all versions of Tahoes as listing 35 psi. You seem to be quoting the placard from a single model from memory - and apparently incorrectly. (I'll concede that Tire Guides might be wrong because they don't list any hybrid Tahoes - but that doesn't explain their other information.)

Further a Tahoe is an SUV, not a car.

And I'll cut to the chase: I've examined 1000's of tread separations - it was my job - so I know what they look like - including the infamous Firestone ATX. Tread separations do NOT involve the sidewall.

Take a closer look at the video you provided. The sidewall doesn't fail - the tire is still holding air. All that debris is the tread and the top belt - the sidewall is still intact. (And for technical purposes, the sidewall starts where the tread ends - and that's about 1" from the shoulder point, an area we tire engineers call the buttress.

Sorry, I stand by what I wrote.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-15-2020)