View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #44 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
velocity-dependent

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
Problem is as I see, locating a useful spot behind the back window would be akin to chasing one's tale, in that it likely would be very vehicle velocity dependent, ie constantly moving.

I was pondering fabbing a partial secondary simple plexiglass outer back window glass, with better aero slope, and drill a horizontal line of small brake inlet holes across that upper outer new window, and then suck brake air from that confined space between the two.

This makes me wonder, if by improving/lowering the air flow over the "new" back window, and also removing some turbulence, I might actually just increase lift in that area, that the wing will only be able to in best conditions only negate, instead of the real goal of adding DF.
From 20-mph,up to 250-mph the flow will be identical around the body.Tufting and observing above 20-mph WOULD reveal your flow,without variance.If that helps any.
General Motors actually did the backlight modification for NASCAR in the 1980s.After Ford did Thunderbird.
As to drilling perpendicular holes in the Plex for air,you'd be looking at the highest known drag inlet,with 'vena-contracta',separated-flow,pinched-flow resistance,and adding to the power required to pull the air in.
Any angle more than 23-degrees will produce full separation,however,reducing the angle increases the reattachment on the trunklid.The wing on the Dodge Charger Daytona cost Cd 0.01.