View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
For a single tank, sure. We don't know when exactly it "clicks". But over a few tanks it doesn't really matter. If the tank fills a little short, it'll fill it a bit more the next time and average out the same.

Of course this is only as good as the pump's meter. There are regulations on the accuracy and testing of that.
Rather than make a sweeping,broad-brushed,generalized rule,I'd want to say 'it depends.'
I'm filling my truck 6-times a year.There are variables in flux during that time frame,which might not sort themselves out for an entire year.The fuel itself wouldn't even be the same for the duration.
Driving a single mod at exactly the same condition for an entire tank full would be one thing.Driving various mods for 50-miles would be another animal.Overnight temperatures alone would skew data.
The only way to know is to test.Other than that all we can claim is informed speculation.
Some station owners can tell you the current temperature of the fuel underground or above ground.A stainless steel 6" stem thermometer,placed in the filler neck will tell you about the fuel delivered.These thermometers can be calibrated in an ice bath.You'd need to know the temp of the fuel already in the tank.Stratification.The coefficient of thermal expansion for motor fuels is available online.Dry bulb temperatures should be monitored during testing.Along with coolant,transmission,differential,tires.Rain or snow.Wind,wind direction.Topography.Road curvature.Road surface.Road temperature.
According to the SAE,your vehicle needs to be warmed with 50-miles of driving at 50-mph,before testing ever begins.
MeteorGray (04-11-2020)