View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
atomicradish
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
It may catch up with me tomorrow but I've been doing it to all my cars for years and hundreds of thousands of miles without any damage.
You've just gotten lucky or perhaps it varies by manufacturer. I used to do the same thing without incident on some of the older cars I Ecodrove back in High School & College but that all changed after topping off my Accord one day. I got a great price on gas at a station far from my home so I filled it up as much as I could. Shortly after the car shut down while driving and I got a CEL for the EVAP system. It took several attempts to get the car to start back up and then it shortly shut off again.... in heavy traffic. The issue cleared up, but I learned my lesson. Its a VERY pricey repair totally not worth risking IMO.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. The station I frequent does have a slight slope so that probably contributed, along with pump inaccuracies. I'm going to assume the SG was probably closer in accuracy than the classic fillup data. I was really hoping the SG would enable me to get a better understanding of how much gas I'm using on a "per shift" basis with food delivery, and to isolate that data from my routine driving to/from my job (whenever that comes back, thanks corona) but it looks difficult to impossible if I need to drive it down close to empty. Oh well. I feel like I kind of wasted money on this device. I already know how to save gas -- keep my foot on the accelerator as little possible, brake as little as possible, and shift into 5th ASAP.