View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

All good advice.

Trying to fill up the tank after using only a small proportion of its volume will excessively expose the driver to the vagaries of the process: angle of the sitting car, temperature of the fuel, peculiarities of the pump, etc. IOW, if you habitually fill up a 3/4 full tank vs a 1/4 full tank, your error factor from the fill-up process itself is significantly increased.

When I first got my Surge Guard, I followed some sage advice and adjusted for only about half of the differential between the pumped-gallons vs SG-predicted gallons at each fill. This way, it prevented a lot of under-and-over-shooting of the target. Most of my miles are on the highway under repeatable conditions, and my SG routinely gets me to within a half gallon or so at each fill. The error is only a percentage point or three over or under. It's close enough that I can't do any better because of the maddening myriad of things that affect fuel economy at any given time on any given trip. Incidentally, I haven't adjusted the "gallons used" factor after maybe 10 iterations when I first got it. After that, it has been amazingly accurate as set.

The SG has certainly improved my ability to squeeze all the distance I can out of a gallon of RUG (although I don't employ enthusiast extremes such as coasting-with-engine-off, etc). It's even allowed me to manage my all-important speed better because I can calibrate the SG to show my exact speed vs the vague analog speedometer in my particular car, especially when I changed the tire size to a slightly taller aspect.

The SG is not perfect, but it's as good as it gets as far as I can tell.