View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #64 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Rear wheel skirts temporarily installed

Installed my rear wheel skirts with temporary screws just to make sure I don't have any flutter in the current configuration (got up to 55 MPH and none was detected). Next up will be paint and permanent installation, as well as stiffeners on the back side to make sure everything stays put.

Originally I had planned on going much deeper with the skirts, but as folks said, there are diminishing returns--and the nightmare of trying to make those compound curves was more than I was willing to deal with. EDIT: I will be getting 6" conveyor belt material to extend the skirt deeper at some point.

Left side skirt. I utilized one existing body screw that holds the front edge of the rear bumper to the metal of the wheel arch. The rest of the screws were installed by me. They will be replaced with nuts and bolts with washers for a much sturdier installation.

I will be painting the angle brackets white to blend in a little better. Again, I will be epoxying nuts to the backside of the skirt, and putting bolts in from the front side. Then if I ever have a flat tire, I just need to remove 5 phillips-head bolts and the skirt will slide out of the way.

This side needs a little more adjustment, as it's not sitting up as high as I want it to eventually. No biggie, just needs a bit more sanding and a few more curse words.

Anyway this is installed temporarily with sheet metal screws. More permanent attachment is in the works. I don't want any screws falling out on the road and flattening other people's tires, or for one to go flying off at 65 MPH.

Thanks for stopping by!

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White

Last edited by Flakbadger; 04-11-2020 at 10:14 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (04-14-2020), coolramin (06-19-2022), freebeard (04-11-2020), Xist (04-13-2020)