View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 05:50 AM   #815 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
We are in this together

I found this on Facebook. The ad was three days old and I could not find anything about how much distilleries, including this specific one, were charging.
I would not expect distilleries doing this for the first time to be able to do it as efficiently as Purell, so I asked:

People were so nice! They took the time to explain things to the best of their knowledge!

Wait no, they immediately downvoted me.
When I realized that TPgate was serious I searched around and the best that I could find was about a dollar an ounce. Well, I have been able to purchase some 10oz bottles from Dollar Tree.

If they charge 10¢ an ounce, that about lines up with the old ads that I saw asking $12 for a gallon.

Weird how I never heard about this: Sales of hand sanitizer spiked by 313% in one week—now New York State is making its own with prison labor Apparently it costs $6.10 a gallon to make when the labor is pretty much free.

Distilleries are making hand sanitizer with their in-house alcohol and giving it out for free to combat coronavirus
What?! How are they paying for it?

The woman posting the ad did not say how much she had. Her Facebook wall is public and she tried to sell to her friends and family. In this picture you see three boxes with three gallons in one box.

Presumably she had at least nine gallons, plus she mentioned $15 16oz bottles. She showed ten in one picture.

If she had the 10 16oz bottles she pictured and 3 gallons in each box she showed, she was trying to sell stuff for a total of $825 that she got for free.

I do not expect the distillery to work for free. Are they licensed to produce and sell alcoholic beverages, but not medical supplies?

You need a license to distill alcohol. You may need a license to sell alcohol cleaning products.

I do not expect people to collect and distribute supplies for free, either. $825 [and potentially thousands of dollars] for half a day of your time would be awesome, but not if people get sick and\or die because they couldn't afford your exorbitant prices.

So if, by chance, I can get a bulk supply of free hand sanitizer, should I give it away for free after I post selfies with it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nLbA4ZB.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	27894   Click image for larger version

Name:	3vqOrtV.png
Views:	92
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	27895