View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #8691 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
life expectancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Well I can respect the position of being unapologetic and never expect to be apologized to. I'm stingy with my apologies because it's only ever warranted if behaving in bad faith, or when there's evidence that an outcome was worse than intended AND is sincere.

My intention is always to bring discomfort to those who hold ideas so dearly that mere skepticism evokes contempt. Well executed trolling should evoke discomfort.

Science didn't give me anything. The universe operates in a way that transcends science. Science is a methodology of making predictions with increasing certainty. I value the scientific method, but it isn't sufficient. Certainly it's incapable of defining value.

Clearly I have respect for scientific methods despite the extremely limited way in which we implement it, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned that a good proxy for determining overall human health would be to examine the trend of life expectancy... I guess I should go wander off into the forest and trend life expectancy in the nude. Perhaps I'd discover both enlightenment and the trajectory of human well-being.
It's a meaningless metric.You can have a green revolution in the 1950s to defeat the spread of communism,only to lose the entire planet in the next century,and incalculable human suffering,as those billions,who are a product of increased life expectancy,now perish on a planet incapable of feeding them.20/20-vision as you go over the cliff.