View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Weirdo in a Weird Land [rough draft]

Book I: I Don't Know How Good I Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You have two cars for one person.
One of them even runs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You are building a man cave to get some personal space from a house you share with your mother and brother.
It is an office. I only go out there to work, not to play video games or watch anything. I am unsure what qualifies as a man cave. I just want drywall, insulation, and a proper door.

So, if Mom retired to Costa Rica she could have money beyond dreams of avarice?

We couldn't afford to visit her! What are the employment opportunities down there?

These states are the cheapest places to live in America in 2019

#10 Wyoming.

Wait, why don't I skip to #1?

Eh.

Quote:
[Y]ou can rent a two-bedroom apartment in Laramie for just $861 per month.
I have not looked at apartments for a while, but everything that I found was around $750, whether one bedroom or three. However, there often aren't any vacancies. This is a 2-3 bedroom townhouse for $743, but it is affordable housing. I make 50% too much! Here is a 2-bedroom in the next town for $800. It has a higher elevation, gets more snow, and is greener. However, if you insist on living in the thriving metropolis of Show Low, here is a 2-bedroom manufactured home "in-town."

So, if you can find a place in Show Low, it may be cheaper than Laramie, but it only has about 35% of the population, and does not have a four-year college like the University of Wyoming.

#9 Indiana
#8 Kansas
#6 Tennessee and Alabama [tied]
#5 Michoacán Michigan [I always confuse those!]
#4 Missouri. The last time that I mentioned them I called them Misery because they weren't supposed to peak until May 22nd, but the same site says they peaked April 22nd.
#3 Arkansas
#2 Ooooooooooooklahoma
#1 Mississippi
America's 10 cheapest states to live 2019 - CNBC.com It didn't say how much rent was in Mississippi!

You know how I will spend hours researching something that doesn't matter to anyone?

Yeah...

I noticed that many states with a low cost of living were in the same area. I couldn't find a good heat map, so I made this. I wanted to give each state a different color, but since the map uses shades of grey to smooth edges, it would take too much work to make it look right. Except for Texas and Louisiana, everything from New Mexico to Georgia and up to Missouri are among the cheapest places to live, with Michigan being a cheap island.

I got that list from here: Cheapest States To Live In 2020 The list was a bit different than the first one and it didn't provide a list, just a table at the end. It was silly how long it took to make a list in descending order.

Book II: The Green Goes Further on the Other Side

This list does not give an order, but of course it mentions Mexico. I hear nice things about that country, I speak the language, and love the people, but when I was in the Guard they asked us to not visit.

The 5 Safest Places to Live in Mexico
Look, I specifically chose a U.S. map that showed the state names because I am not sure that I would get all of them right, but that says the safest town in Mexico is Sayulita, Nayarit.

Um, what?

Nayarit is a state?

How to get there: Drive 253.8 miles south from Show Low, another 970.2 miles, and you are there!

Google says that it takes 22.5 hours and has 2,262 people.

I don't care where you live, that is a small town!

I mean... how many dating options would I have?

#2 is Campeche, Campeche. It has 220,000 people, but is 41 hours southeast of here on the Yucatán Peninsula!

#3 is Tulum, Quintana Roo with 18,233 people.

I am not looking up the drive time, it is near Campeche² (268 miles further!).

#4 ¡Mazatlán, Sinaloa! I have heard of that one! It has half a million people and... it is only 250 miles north of Sayulita...

#5 ¡Cancún! Nevermind. I am not getting excited. I got my hopes up before and... what? It is in Quintana Roo?!

It is almost 2,500 miles away.

Sure, people fly, but I cannot really see how much flights cost right now. Who knows what they will be in the future?

I guess that Sayulita, Nayarit sounds a lot better. I am sure that current flight data is pretty useless, but what else do I have? When I search TripAdvisor shows $18, but it is $280 round-trip with American.

Of course, this is actually to Puerto Vallarta.

Another Google results says $47 flights, but is also $280. The first Google result claimed $83, but why pay that much when you could pay only $47 or $18 [you can't, you can't pay just $83!]

They just want $243.62, although it kept changing from Phoenix to Victoria.

Would I be using Amazon even more down there?

Book III: Fan\Hate Mail

RedPoint, sorry, I do not know, and I cannot find anything about delays due to only filing 2018 taxes.
JSH, I know that I am supposed to pay quarterly taxes, but I have paid at the end of the year five times, and as far as I know, it has been okay, but I looked it up:
Quote:
If you owe more than $1,000, the IRS wants its owed taxes paid during the year.
Any missed quarterly payment will result in penalties and interest.
Additionally, waiting until the end of the year to file and pay taxes may lead to other financial issues if you fail to reserve enough funds to satisfy your tax debt.
Facts About the Failure to File or Pay Penalties However, all that I can find about that underpayment fine is this saying it was 3% in 2012.

I haven't been charged for not paying during the year.

I wish that I knew why I paid far more in taxes this year than previously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cost of living by state.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	27964