View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 02:48 AM   #61 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Book I: I Don't Know How Good I Got it.
One of them even runs!
If I recall correctly you took one of your cars apart over a year ago to replace the head gasket and haven't finished putting it back together. It says something that you can afford to wait a year to fix your car. It means it is an extra car not needed for daily transportation. Some might call it a hobby car.

Quote:
It is an office. I only go out there to work, not to play video games or watch anything. I am unsure what qualifies as a man cave. I just want drywall, insulation, and a proper door.
Again, you share your house with 2 people and you have your own room yet you a building a dedicated space to get away from them. On a global scale you can start complaining about lack of personal space when you are sharing 1 room with 4-6 people

My colleges in Japan were super jealous of the 90 sq ft apartment the company rented for US employees when they were in Japan for multiple months

Quote:
So, if Mom retired to Costa Rica she could have money beyond dreams of avarice?
Well a middle class income is $750 a month in the city and about $500 in smaller towns. If she is getting near an average Social Security check she would be doing well down there. And she has a house to sell / buy one there so no rent in CR. Pura Vida

Quote:
We couldn't afford to visit her! What are the employment opportunities down there?
Well the example wasn't specifically related to you. It was just an example of how being born in a wealthy country gives options not available to people in poorer countries. An example of what even a small retirement in the USA can buy in other corners of the globe.

Maybe you couldn't afford to visit but I bet you could stay with her. Legal employment opportunities are zero on a Pensionado visa. To qualify you need $1,000 a month income in Social Security or a pension. It is for retirees not expats looking for work. But hey, you are teleworking today and they have good internet.