View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
importance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Brake cooling has been part of road car wheel design for at least 50 years. For example, a textbook I have on brake design that was published in 1967 mentions it.

In a current context, a recent Porsche paper I was reading on the development of an aerodynamically slippery wheel spends over half that section on the difficulties of developing an aero wheel that doesn't too adversely impact brake cooling. In fact, you can see exactly how much extra drag they accepted in order to achieve adequate brake cooling.

I think every reference (text or paper) that I read when writing the section in my book on wheel drag mentions the importance of brake cooling.
No kidding! There's a whole train of product-liability attorneys who'd love to take on class-action lawsuits against any auto maker who inadvertently overlooked brake compromise/failure during R&D.
In the 1970s,heading eastbound into Chattanooga,Tennessee,one might notice the 'orange landscaping' at the bottom of mountain valleys,from all the ROADWAY tractor-trailer rigs who's brakes burned up,while failing to find a runaway truck ramp in time to save itself.