View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #119 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It's currently 71 degrees upstairs and 67 degrees downstairs. I turned the heat off around 9am when I found my wife had the sliding door open upstairs. I'm always saying we can have windows open or heat, but not both at the same time.

I wonder how much effort it would take to put in another air handler for the bottom level? There are returns on both levels already, and plenty of space in the "boiler room" for more equipment and ducting. I'd like to make downstairs into a self-sustained living quarters, which means finer temperature control, a door on the stairs, and some way to cook food.
The house we rented our first year in Oregon was the same way. Two floors, one HVAC. As an extra inefficiency bonus about 1/2 of the upstairs was wasted on 20ft high ceilings over the living, dining, kitchen and entry. The second floor was 1 bedroom and a bath on one side connected to the master suite on the other side by an elevated walkway.

Your kitchen is on the second floor? That is an unusual arrangement. Most 2 level houses I’ve been in have the kitchen and living areas on the first floor and bedrooms / bathrooms on the second.