View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #121 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
How is your retirement account looking? If you are 40 today $13,600 invested in an S&P 500 index fund should be worth $230,619 when you turn 67 and are at full retirement age. That is significant to me.

(That is calculated at 10.53% which is the average annual return for Vanguard’s VFINX founded in 1976)
I have $3,736.06 in retirement!

I had $6,000 in 2012 and my parents convinced me to cash it in to buy that house. My sister and her husband have also done that.

It would have been fine if I got that townhouse, but I didn't. I went from $6,000 in retirement and no house to $0 in retirement and no house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If you invested $13,600 back when you were 20 that would have turned into $1,877,285 without contributing another dime. The beauty of compounding interest. The longer you wait the harder it is.
Why does everyone insist that I am waiting for something? I worked three jobs before I graduated the first time and I was just trying to make ends meet. My car would break down or something, I never had any savings because I always put everything that I could spare towards my credit card, and then I paid tons of interest.

I was heading towards bankruptcy and\or homelessness when I joined the Army.

My first car was a $2,500 Honda. Where did I go wrong? I had two different mechanics look at it! I kept renting a room somewhere until I had too many bad roommates in a row. I think that I paid $450 a month for a one-bedroom, while I had paid $300 to rent a room, but then I moved in with roommates again.

I have never taken vacations. I went to Disneyland with my sister and her family a few times, but she bought my ticket.

Nobody owes me anything. Life doesn't owe me anything. Everyone is supposed to receive a stimulus check, so I want that, but as I keep saying, I just want the opportunity to work full-time.

I heard back from the company that bought the clinic that offered me a job in 2017. They do not have any SLPA openings. Do I want to work as a caregiver?

Helping out one old person is a thankless job, I want to compound this?!

I would need to work 60 hours a week to make as much as I do working thirty or less!

I e-mailed two agencies in the valley and another staffing agency reached out to me.