View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #141 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have $3,736.06 in retirement!
That’s a start.

Quote:
Why does everyone insist that I am waiting for something?
Because you said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
If I am able to save $13,600 in the next year I am unsure that I would be able to do anything significant with it
I can think of a lot of things to do with $13,600. Pay off your credit cards, set aside a few grand in an emergency fund, buy a sensible and reliable car to replace your two 20 year old cars, save for retirement.

However, don't make a specific plan of how to save $13,600, and then execute that plan it will not happen. What are your financial goals for this year

And, you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
I just want the opportunity to work full-time.
You have wanted that for some time – it hasn’t happened. The harsh reality is that it likely won’t happen in your current situation. The combination of employment field and location are not working. So that means you need to change fields or locations.

You give the impression of someone metaphorically stuck – waiting for something to change.

As someone else said earlier “What is your long-term plan?”

Quote:
I was heading towards bankruptcy and\or homelessness when I joined the Army.

My first car was a $2,500 Honda. Where did I go wrong?
Instead of looking at the past how about looking forward.

You live with your mother and you pay her rent. Where is the rest of your paycheck going? Even at only 30 hours a week it seem like you should be able to save some money.

I highly suggest, in the friendliest way possible, that you look at your monthly spending and see what is necessary and what is not. Track every dollar you spend for a couple months and you might be surprised how much little things add up. I know I was the first time I did that.

Also, I'll give you a tip that has worked for me. If you want to save -automate it. Set up an automatic deposit for what is required to meet you savings goal. Then make your spending manual and limited. Set aside a set amount of spending money per paycheck or month and take it out of the bank in cash. When the cash is gone it is gone. You can't spend money you don't have and it is instantly apparent when you have reached your budget limit.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-01-2020)