View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I like this test idea you've had and developed and thanks for posting it here.

"The Template" doesn't have much evidence for it? Have you read the dedicated "thread" templates here? Have you read the studies or rear box cavities? Some of that research has been posted here before, too. Use the search function to find it. I see elements of box cavity research incorporated into low drag road vehicles these days, such as the Prius. I think your dismissal that these are things that "get a lot of coverage here" at EM but don't "have much evidence" is not correct.

The flat decklid spoiler is not just for the attached flow at the separation point. It is also intended to capture vortices better, and the test results from El Mirage suggested the mod had an effect on my vehicle. The test was not precise enough for some conclusions, but the observed effects were quite a lot greater than the noise of 0.75-1.9%.

Now, what could be fun this summer, if I get the chance, would be a combination of the throttle stop and coast down to zero method. El Mirage offers 1.5 miles of open flat "road" ... I could observe a throttle stopped max speed, quickly return to a predetermined speed, and then coast down to zero in each pass.
Rather than my having to wade through lots of anecdote-style evidence about The Template and box cavities, can you just direct me to some current peer reviewed tech papers (or published textbook material) on them? And what on earth does “capturing vortices better” mean?

(And I have had a look on here for the source material that supports The Template and box cavities but cannot find it. I don't remember either a 'perfect shape style template' or 'box cavities' being mentioned in any of my car aero textbooks - but I am very happy to follow up if someone can nominate some references.)

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 05-02-2020 at 05:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-17-2020)