View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #197 (permalink)
Jurgis
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 67.22 mpg (US)
Yesterday I was happy realizing that my car reached 81 mpg since last fill. Most trips were 30 miles on country roads but some in cities or on the motorway.
It seems that 10°C / 50F is a limit. Low temperatures reduces the mpg and I drove my car below 70 mpg. For April it was too warm in Germany, too warm for the nature, plants and wild animals, but perfect for the fuel consumption. We had about 16°C / 60F and no rain at all.
As written in my profile my car's weight is less than 2600lb.
What is a hybrid? It means that there are two (or more) power sources f.ex. fuel and battery. Mine is a hybrid too. These two sources are diesel and the gyrating mass.
The efficiency of batteries is about 64%. The generator uses 140% of energy (input) to use 100% of electrical engergy later (output). Rolling without running motor gives the best efficiency. When limiting the speed to 45 mph rolling as well as wind resistance are relatively small. So I save about 40% compared to a fuel/electrical hybrid car.
There are three disadvantages:
- always alternating the speed between 35 and 45 mph makes other drivers nervous and they try to pass me even in dangerous situations
- the battery reached end of life after 6 years and 90,000 miles
- the clutch died after 35,000 miles while the first one reached 120,000 miles driving in a conventional style (the owner before I bought the car)
The last point is economical seen the worst point as it wasts most of my money I saved by driving in the way I do today.

Last edited by Jurgis; 05-06-2020 at 07:13 PM..