View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I would caution against swapping in an HX CVT, as they had a terrible rep for failure. Perhaps the initial install would be simpler than installing a manual, but the second and third CVT installs would be a pain. Don't do it. You could easily increase the size of your wheels and tires some to get a gearing advantage over stock. Not a great one but something. What are the ratios on a 2005 Civic auto trans?
Thank you for the information, I don't want an unreliable piece of crap. I wonder how many of those failures were caused by lack of mainline or abuse though. I'm not interested in taller wheels and tires as that would negatively affect acceleration and I have nice light alloy wheels that I really like the look of.

My transmission is from a Honda Stream (a small station wagon) so it's geared shorter than the stock one for more torque since its from a much heavier vehicle. Despite the shorter gearing, I didn't seem to lose much MPG and acceleration has improved quite a bit. Here are the gear ratios of my transmission compared to the stock one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans gear ratios.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	28052   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear ratios graph.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	28053