View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It might be due to our different perspectives, notice we're from different countries and only in recent years the automatics became more widespread here in Brazil. Some people who have previously driven cars with other types of automatic transmission might not expect the feeling of a CVT once they drive one for the first time. Getting used to the lack of engine-braking while driving downhill is also more critical for someone who also used to drive manuals more often than automatics.
Oh okay that makes sense. Honda's CVTs have 3 different modes: D, S, and L. Mode D basically chooses the highest gear possible for the best efficiency. Mode S is sort of a sport mode and keeps the RPMs a bit higher than mode D for better response and more engine braking. It also makes the trans more eager to downshift when hitting the gas for a more sporty feel.

Mode L is the mode I am confused about though. I know that L stands for Low, but it is unclear to me whether mode L will simply lock the transmission in the lowest "gear" possible and not allow it to upshift or whether it just sets a higher target RPM than D or S. In other words, what happens if you put it in Mode L and floor it from a stop? Will it just max out and bounce off the rev limiter or will the trans continue to upshift as the car accelerates? If anyone has an answer to what exactly Mode L does please let me know, I would really like to know and no one seems to have an answer. Thanks