View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #215 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
People like to say "it's science, dummy", when the "science" depends on bias.
Bias in research:

Big Oil: How can I phrase this so the spill isn't why the animials are declining?
Big Tobacco: How can I phrase this so it seems they died of something else?
Academia: How can I phrase this so I can get another grant to pursue it farther?
"Deep State": How can I phrase this so my department looks more important?
Big Pharma: How do I phrase this so my new pill looks great?
Big Insurance: How do I phrase this so we make money?

Science:

Peer review and replication changes what is understood as truth.

Of course a study put out by Big Oil is asking to be debunked. But look at Academia: from every department head to every grad student, they all want to be the one on record as debunking it with a solid enough study that cannot itself be debunked. And if they confirm it, so much the better. As long as their work is solid, it still makes them look good.

That's actually what science is all about- questioning data and analysis until enough scientists come up with the same results, and then that idea becomes accepted as truth. Until the next study contradicts it, but they'll move in to debunk that one too, unless they verify that one, in which case it becomes the truth.

Look at anti-vaxxers. Their whole premise is based on a study that fell apart and was retracted once it was scrutinized. If it had been legitimate, just censored because Big Pharma disapproved of it, do you really think that no scientists would have confirmed that study by now? Really, any scientist would love to go down in history as the one who confirmed that vaccines were bad (with work that was good enough to be replicated). Any university, for that matter- because if you establish that vaccines are causing autism, you've come up with more knowledge of vaccines and autism at the same time, and understanding those mechanisms can help develop safer vaccines and treat autism. Think of all the promotions and research grants you could get out of that, how many of your grads will get hired first, how many top notch students will go to your school...

But no one's done that. And while researchers are still doing their thing, at some point people need to understand that there's a difference between skepticism and denial. Only one of those counts as science, dummies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (05-12-2020)