View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 04:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
GreenTDI
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 65.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitviet View Post
Wow!!! Congrats it is awesome I am a bit jealous as I cannot for the moment go much under 4l/100km and my instantenuous fuel consumption at 62mph (real speed, so about 105 at the gauge) is more about 4l/100km. But it is true I haven't used all your tricks now and I live in the mountain. Even with much care, it can't be helped that a lot of gasoline be wasted downhill in brake dust and heat. Do you know the official SCd figure for your car? Mine is 0.60m2, and at 80km/h my engine revs at 1300rpm, which is fine but couldn't be lower.

I might try overinflating the tyres but I will only do that on long trips.
First of all, nothing to be jealous about! You have a bigger and heavier car, and your engine has one more cylinder. These cars can't be compared properly.
Secondly, my speed is 100 km/h on the meter (so 96 km/h or 60 mph real) Consumption increases exponentially with speed, even a few km/h less will do the trick.

I wonder if your engine is running under too much load in highest gear, could it be that your 6th gear is too long for 100 km/h? Especially on hilly roads. Try 5th gear for a while. (at lower gear you will also have to brake less downhill). My experience with the 3-cylinder TDI is that it loves to make a little bit more revolutions, without consuming more. I 've noticed that the 'sweet spot' for constant speed is between 1500 and 1900 rpm = I never use highest gear below 80 km/h. But then again, it's a smaller engine.

What do you mean with SCd - frontal area or Cw value? That last one is 0.32 stock, but maybe I'll have it down to 0.30 with modifications.

Last edited by GreenTDI; 05-11-2020 at 05:15 AM..