View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveco View Post
i did think about exhaust heat recovery but wasn't sure how to go about it as, unlike the coolant, we are now talking about temperatures above the boiling point of water.
It's no rocket-science, but it would involve mixing cold water with hot water to trim the right temperature for a comfortable bath.

Quote:
It would be amazing installing one on the driveshaft and having some motor assistance and regen! seems like it'll be expensive but i will look at what i can find!
That's not exactly what I was considering when I mentioned a starter-generator, but if you manage to place a motor-generator on the driveshaft it might be worth to take a look at the hybrid technologies fitted to trucks and buses instead. I guess you might've seen some hybrid buses with a "pancake" motor between the engine and transmission, replacing the torque converter traditionally fitted to an automatic transmission.

Quote:
I agree on the belly-pan. but if i can get some cheap corro-plast i might try it and test it at some point.
Sure a belly-pan seems worth the effort, but don't hold your breath for it to provide any rust protection. On a sidenote, if you eventually get one, an exhaust wrap might also be desirable in order to prevent damage to the surrounds, which would include the belly pan depending on which material it would be made of.