View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 01:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You're beginning to understand the aerohead we all know and love. Asterisks for paragraphs but never a space between sentences.
The nearest parallel I can think to all of this is the old argument about engines 'needing back-pressure'.

I used to have this argument all the time, especially with older modifiers, about 20 years ago. They, too, would quote outdated magazine articles, outdated books, etc. Then they'd tell me the results of their tests - how power went down with free-flow exhausts. They had all sorts of theories as to why back-pressure was needed, and what terrible things would happen without enough back-pressure.

And, unfortunately, some people modifying their cars listened and were terrified of putting on large exhausts and freeflow mufflers.

I very much doubt 'engines needing back-pressure' was ever a valid concept, and with the advent of engine management and the ability to tune an engine so much more finely than with points and carbies, it is of course now just rubbish. But to this day, some people believe it.

That's why I hate seeing BS being spread in car modification - unless it is challenged, it gets a life of its own. And I really like seeing people succeed, not following bad advice and so going on to achieve substandard outcomes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-13-2020), MeteorGray (05-13-2020)