View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
But was this an undersaltwater hurricane car? Good luck bidders.
These cars at least can be cleaned up and still run after such an event. They're not like a gasser.

Oddly that 73-74 c-car looks a lot like mine, its just 8 years older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon
But to make me want it i would need to be able to get 40 miles round trip and at least achieve 50mph..
Well you can do one or the other, My car can go 51 miles to the bitter end going 35mph or so OR 50mph 25-30 miles so long as there is a 1hr plus break in there for the batteries to come up a bit.

The C-cars are probably the least expensive car to mod the battery packs to go the distance you want but I doubt you would be willing to foot the bill for NIHM or Lithium, as the saying has been for what?? 8 years - next year the prices will drop

There have been cars that do what you want made in the 70's with lead acid, there was one on ebay last june that sold over 12k, looked like a corvette (the good kind) except down the middle instead of framework there were 16 batteries on a shelf. It could go 100 miles @ 25mph or approx 40 miles at 50mph.

Lead Electrics have their place, anytime you need to drive in town or go on short distance trips or have a place to charge they might work out for you. I currently only use gas 2.5 days a week and run only my electric during the week days. That includes a small bit of highway driving about once a month when I want to get out to the warehouse stores on the wrong side of the highway.

C-cars are fun but are not for everyone, but I will say if you have nothing else (or act like you do) you might find you can make something work if you really want it to work, same goes for bicycles, bus service, mopeds and every other cheap transport.